THE FOLLOWING SCHEDULE IS TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
Day 1 (Thursday, December 28, 2017)
EVENING: WELCOME DINNER
- Introductions, and description of your writing project or goals to the group.
- Presentation of detailed schedule and the philosophy behind Prompt Excursions:
- What to expect? (Answer: The unexpected.)
- How we use prompts and excursions around Sicily to help you jumpstart your creative process.
Day 2 (Friday, December 29, 2017)
THEME 1: The Aboveground Archeologist at Work
· Palazzi and a Piazza;
· Free Lunch (Might we suggest street food in Vucciria? Try some or all of the following: fried artichokes, stewed squid, spleen sandwiches, eggplant with capers and tomatoes, arancini rice balls, marzipan, pistachios, cassata, cannoli.)
· Tour & 17th-century graffiti.
· Writing on the seafront or in your room.
· Aperitivo & Optional sharing of day’s writing.
Day 3 (Saturday, December 30, 2017)
THEME 2: Staying Unstuck—Nurturing the Flame of Creativity
· Train trip to Cefalù. (Prompt discussion on the train.)
· Explore Cefalù.
· Free Lunch (The choice is up to you: picnic on the beach / in a world-class restaurant / in a cous-cous spot.)
· Writing on the seafront wall or in a local bar;
· 5 pm: Optional sharing writing on the train on the way back.
· Free Dinner (go someplace you've spotted and fancy; if desired, suggestions supplied).
Day 4 (Sunday, December 31, 2017)
THEME 3: Palermo and its Inhabitants
· Visit a Palermitan aristocratic palace
· Free Lunch (go someplace you've spotted and fancy; if desired, suggestions supplied).
· Trip to the Ballarò Market. What are the sounds/smells/sights? Sample. Take pictures.
· Free writing time.
New Year's Eve Dinner with some illustrious literary locals!
Day 5 (Monday, January 1, 2018)
FREE MORNING (Sleep or write!).
AFTERNOON (Optional: attend if you wish, or take the entire day off):
· Group lunch, Kahlsa area, Palermo.
· THEME 4 : Spirituality and Architecture.
·Visit important churches in Palermo.
·Aperitivo & Optional sharing of the day's writing.
Day 6 (Tuesday, January 2, 2018)
THEME 5: Life, Death, Elixir & Metaphor
· Free writing time.
Visit an enoteca and sample inimitable Sicilian wines~the elixir of life.
· Farewell reading: 10 minutes per participant. Share what you’ve been working on.
Day 7 (Wednesday, January 3, 2018)
It all started when...
We discovered the beauty of Palermo and its countryside, it invigorated our writing and we wanted to share it with you.
"Her gaze dims as her nostalgia for Palermo overcomes her. Those smells of seaweed dried by the sun, of capers, of ripe figs, she will never find them anywhere else; those burnt and scented shores, those waves slowly breaking, jasmine petals flaking in the sun.”
― Dacia Maraini, The Silent Duchess